Monday, February 06, 2006

Young life in the dog days of summer......

Good Evening to the millions of readers out there. (it's my dream) :-D Before I start, a quick shout out to Kate. I have in store for everyone a humorous story that happened one summer during dog days. I was then about 11 or 12 give or take a year or two. We had visiting with us for about a week a kid about my own age. I can't recall his name so I'll just call him the young boy. My brother, Dennis (the one that passed away in 1963), and I looked forward greatly to showing him the ropes of a farm. We intended to teach him as much as we possibly could in a week about how to run a farm. It being in the dog days of summer it was scorching hot. Even the dogs would do nothing but lay in the shade and pant, but not us. The first thing I recall teaching the young boy was about our electric fence. Having a DC output, it wasn't dangerous, but was quite painful when one came in contact with it. We had, that summer leased extra grazing land from some neighbors so we could keep our cattle fed during the summer and until the fall cattle sale. We then put an electric fence around it because it was so much more simple and easy. Our job that summer day was to walk the entire length of the fence and make sure that nothing was touching it that could cause a grounding effect, ie. weeds, branches, etc. Having gotten about half way around we stopped and had a drink from the nearby spring. The water was so good and so clear and so cold. As we sat and rested a bit before continuing our inspection Dennis thought it would be a good idea for all of us to ......how do I put this delicately.....urinate before continuing on. As things proceeded, Dennis, at that point in time, told the young boy that it would be a good idea to do his business on the electric fence, which amazingly enough to me, He began to do without question. Dennis or I either thought he'd be silly enough to do it. But do it He did. Let me say here, that no matter how long I live, and I intend to do that till 2050, I'll never, ever forget the look on his face. His eyes quite suddenly began to light up as his jaw went slack and he began to twitch. Dennis and I sat in amazement that he'd actually done it. We then began to laugh......and laugh.....and laugh.....and laugh....and so on. When he finally began to regain his composure (which took a while) he began to get more and more angry. The more we laughed the more angry he became and the more angry he became the more we laughed. One would think that after that incident he'd never trust us again, but quite amazingly he did, but that's a story for another day about the dog days of summer in or around 1960-1961. If the young boy is reading this I suppose I should apologize, and I do, but I still think it's one of the funniest things I can remember. .......and so it went.......

4 comments:

DaddysGirl said...

Thats hilarious!!!! My mom tells me stories all the time about gettin the city kids to do things like that. I love hearing them!

Mike said...

I'm glad you like them Maddie. I have a lifetimes worth to tell. :-D

Unknown said...

You've told me that one! that is funny! you probably have the most twisted sense of humor(except for my dog) in the world! ttyl.

Dawn (of Course)! said...

O!!! my!!!
What a mean thing to do to a citified boy. lol. Mike your reminisces are sweet. Thanks for sharing.