Sunday, March 12, 2006

The life and times of Nellie the Belle.....

A joyous good evening to all. As I sit writing this post I hope everyone of you are having a wonderful evening and that your day tomorrow is even better. Ok, enough of the greeting. I'm going to get right to the main topic for the evening.
I'm going to, at this time, introduce you all to Nellie. Group, this is Nellie. Nellie, this is a group of loyal and faithful bloggers. Nellie was my first car. She was of the American motors brand and was assembled in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and sixty. To those not well versed in mathematics that would be 1960. Her brand was better known as a "Rambler". Let me now tell the brief story of how she got her name. When I first made the purchase of this fine (term used loosely) automobile she, among other deficiencies, didn't have the ability to stop. Put another way, she didn't have brakes. When I paid the money for Nellie and got behind the wheel I was unaware of this, but found out quickly as I came to the first of many stop signs. Among the many efforts made to stop were the use of the expression "whoa Nellie". It stuck and became the name I called her for almost a year. Now, the name established, I'll go on to other deficiencies. She, I found out late that evening, also had no dim headlights. Because of this minor setback I drove the entire night with my lights on bright, which I might add, enraged most all of the other drivers which had the misfortune to meet me on the road. That might sound like a serious and difficult problem, but taken in context, it really was one of the most minor. Another problem was that all four tires were completely and utterly smooth (worn out to those not familiar to the lingo) . On this account I'd decided to go rather slowly just in case. After that decision was made I made the discovery that she would only go about thirty miles an hour anyway, which worked out very well for everyone except for those following me. Oh, speaking of following me, I'm led to the next and worst of all her infirmities. She had no, I repeat, NO rings on any of her pistons. I'll break that down a bit for the mechanically challenged. The pistons are those things inside the engine that compress the fuel mixture and make the engine go. The rings on the pistons (about four on each) are the things that keep the motor oil from getting into the cylinders and making the engine put out a degree of white smoke. The amount of white smoke depends on how many of the rings are worn, broken or just plain not there. Well, Nellie had no rings on any of the six pistons inside of her engine. Bless her heart. The result of this malady was that she put out more white smoke that any mosquito sprayer ever in the history of man and machine. One having the misfortune of driving behind me for any distance found that there was no visibility for fifty to one hundred yards, but on the upside, there was a tremendous drop in the mosquito population for quite a while. ( :-D ) I finally had the engine reworked and that particular problem went away. I had spent a grand total of three hundred dollars on her. One hundred eighty dollars was the purchase price, then one hundred twenty dollars to have Nellie's engine rebuilt.
Now, I know at this juncture you're all wondering whatever happened to Nellie. The truth be told, I wish I still had her. The truth being further told, I have no Idea what happened to Nellie. I loaned Nellie to an Uncle and a few days after (probably in a pout) she promptly stopped running forever and all time. He pulled her over to the side of the road as best He could and further pushed her the rest of the way out of the road. I had no way to get Nellie to my house, not being able to afford a wrecker, so there she sat while I thought about the dilemma that she and I were in. As I pondered the problem it went away. Literally it went away. I never found out what had happened to Nellie, but assume that someone with access to a wrecker (or just a chain) had pulled her away, probably as an act of pity. Since I still didn't have the means to bring her home I gave her (in my mind) to her kidnapper/rescuer. So goes the story of noble Nellie, may she rest in peace. ........and so it went.......

1 comment:

Crissy said...

Poor little Nellie. I know how she felt... worn out without the ability to stop.