Friday, October 27, 2006

The REAL "simple life"......

Good evening once again to everyone. I'm very pleased to have you taking your valuable time from your busy lives to read this edition of this blog. I have refreshments to offer. Just name what you want and it'll be served right up!
This particular chapter is about something quite wonderful I've observed over the years. Something that makes my heart smile. No...Not smile, but grin! It makes me want to laugh out loud and I often do when thinking of this. You all have seen or heard ( hopefully just heard about) the TV show named 'the simple life' starring those infamous and questionable "ladies" named Paris and Nicole. It is to me a horrendous show that should never have been considered for air time. So......without further ado, let me introduce the "real simple life". As I progress in life and hopefully maturity, I've come to know the real simplicity of the life of a child. It's a world filled with wonder at the things they experience. A world filled with awe because of the things they learn. I often spend a lot of time with young children, mostly my grandchildren. I never cease to be amazed at the things that brings them joy and brings laughter to their face. An experience such as just swinging in a tire swing. When I swing them in the tire swing I built for them I hear peals of laughter floating on the wind. That laughter can be heard all over the neighborhood. I see the joy brought about by simply taking a walk while they hold on to my hand. The joy of a wildflower as they stoop to examine it. The thrill of watching an insect as it buzzes through the air. The excitment when they see someone they love holding out their arms for them to run into. Oh for the real simple life that we all seem to lose a part of as we get older and more exposed to the world in which we live. Not the mockery of the 'simple life' as shown on tv. As I ponder the world of a child I'm reminded of the song by Louis Armstrong "What a wonderful world". A very fitting tribute to a child's world it seems to me. Sing it Louis! ............And so it goes..........

2 comments:

Dawn (of Course)! said...

yesterday, i came home from work with a to-do list a mile long.......Jeni and Alana had spent the day at my house with "the aunts" and they were both napping when i came in. A few moments later, Alana started fussing......I quietly went over so as not to wake her momma....lay on the floor on my back and put her on my chest, as she calmed and fell back asleep, I had this pang......of all there was yet to do....then shushhhed myself with the thought, "THIS is the better thing for now. THIS is the important thing". Then I just enjoyed the peace that comes with holding a new-born.

I see skies of skies of blue, red roses too.........

What a wonderful world.

Crissy said...

Truer words have never been spoken. My children will always remember the walks they have taken with you. Brendan still remembers looking for "touch-its" (reflectors). I love you.