Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A little known part of me............

Good evening and welcome! I'm so very pleased to have you drop in for a visit. It flatters me that you all would take time from busy schedules to drop in. So, come in, pull up a chair and order yourself something to drink. Relax while you read. The little known part that I'm going to tell about surprises most people when they hear about it. It's a part of my life that I remember fondly. Here it is..... In nineteen seventy two, when my wife and I had been married just over three years and Kim was two years old, I'd just gotten out of the Navy and was looking for a job. As much of a relief it was being out of the Military I found myself with a family and without a job. One day I was at the church that we attended and was ask to take some stuff to the 'home for children', not to be confused with the orphanage. This home for children was for children that had parents but the parents didn't want them, for whatever "reason". It was while I was there that I was offered a job. It was a job I'd never considered so I told them that I'd have to think about it. Of course, not having a job I thought about it a lot and very quickly. The conclusion I came to was that I'd give it a try. So....Try we did. After selling our house the next week we loaded up our worldly belongings and headed east. I still have difficulty believing we'd accumulated so much. ( :-D ) Upon arriving at the home we were assigned to a 'cottage' that housed sixteen little boys ranging from the ages of six to twelve. We were house parents, bless our hearts. We were there for about three months, until a visit to a doctor, where we received the news of the pregnancy. Yep. We were once again going to have a child. Crissy is the blessed result. Having that in our future, and knowing the problems my wife had with carrying a child I decided to, once again, move. While there though, we set about making memories that have stayed with me for these many years. I can still recall many of the names of the boys. There was a Roland, Paul, Petey, Wilson, Broadus, John and I'll have to get my old list out to recall the others. Since the names won't mean anything to you all I'll refrain. While there I was in charge of the running of the farm as well as the running of the house we were in. As one can imagine, there was never a dull moment. If you all want I can recall some of the moments that were most memorable. That was a time in my life that I'll never forget and often recall. Ok, I'll stop writing so I can go to bed. Before I go though, let me say that I often wonder about those little boys. They'd long since have grown into men now and have made their way into whatever avenues of life they've chosen. Sometime I think of trying to track them down but that never gets past the thinking stage. Anyway, now you know about a part of me that until now no one has known much about. Goodnight ..................And so it went.............

No comments: