Saturday, April 01, 2006

Thinking things through.........

Good Evening All. Thank you for stopping by to check out this, the latest post in this man's blog. It's been a rather long week. I've been busier than a one armed wallpaper hanger. (maybe that fits a little too well)
A quick story about something I witnessed years ago that I still think is, well, funny. When I was on one of the aircraft carriers I served on we had a guy that used most all of his spare time fishing. I suppose one could call that the ultimate deep sea fishing trip, huh? A lot of time the the depth of the water we were in was from one to two miles deep. Sometimes more. Back to the story though. This particular guy did his fishing from the flight deck. This meant that he was fishing one hundred feet above the water and at a speed of about twenty miles per hour. One day I decided to ask him the question I'd been wondering about. The question..."If you catch a fish that weighs four hundred pounds, which certainly could happen, how are you going to get the fish all the way to the point you're fishing from, which as I have already pointed out, was a hundred feet up. Also, I ask that if he did indeed get the fish to the flight deck, which was highly unlikely, what are you going to do with it? His reply was classic. He said, "well, I'll try to figure that out when the time comes that I've caught one". It occurred to me at the time that he'd probably not thought this through very well. I wonder from time to time if he's lived his whole life using that philosophy and if so how successful he's been in his endeavors. .......and so it went.........