Sunday, July 16, 2006

Having the answers but not knowing the questions....

Good Afternoon. Yes, I'm actually posting this in the afternoon (a little after five pm actually). This will be a shorter post than usual so I won't offer you anything to drink but you are welcome to sit and relax.
I received some news this morning that changed some things, such as my schedule and my plans, but mostly my line of thought. My uncle (my Mom's sister's husband) passed away last night. He being quite a bit older I never knew him very well but his children and I are about the same age, thus we were playmates when we were young. I was doing ok until they ask me to be a pall bearer. Of course I'm going to. Being ask though, brought back so very many memories. I was talking to a very good friend and found myself saying that I'd been to far too many funerals in my life. The most detestable memory I have in that regard is of serving on the "firing squad". It's not what it sounds like. It's being a part of the squad that fires the twenty one gun salute. No matter how many times I did it I never got accustomed to seeing the grief of so many people. My heart would break for them.

Then I began remembering the ones that I'd called friend or family. I stopped because the list became too painful. It seems that with each funeral I lost a bit of my heart, a part of myself. Enough for now. I have to pack so I can take my Mom to her Sister's house to spend the night and be with her. As implyed by the title, I've learned some of the answers over the years I've lived, but I still don't know what the questions are. ..........And so it goes.........

1 comment:

Dawn (of Course)! said...

My prayers go with you, my dear brother and your heart blesses me yet again. I am proud to call you friend even as I praise our Father for our friendship. He will be with you to give you strength, his presence will surround you to bring comfort.