Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The shadow of a.....Life!

Good evening and thank you for stopping by. I'm happy to see you. Grab a seat and I'll fix you something to eat. (yes, I'm a good cook) Now just enjoy your meal as you read this post. ( :-D )
Something was said to me a couple of days ago that started me thinking. I don't particularly agree with what was said but I was very flattered to have it said to me. The line of thought the statement provoked was this: How big is the shadow that I cast? A funny thing to wonder, huh? By that I mean, as I go about my life day by day what do I leave in my wake? (a wake, for those that might not know, is the trail left behind a ship) Does what I leave behind me make life a little brighter for the persons left there? Whether we know it or not we all make a difference in our world. Maybe the difference is subtle, maybe it's very visible. I was working at the professional building of a hospital today and decided I was going to give everyone I met a smile and a polite "Hi" or "Hello". I was pleasantly surprised with the response. Even though there were things that didn't go well, and some even went downright badly, I continued my quest to smile and cause smiles. It was fun. Along with all of that I've been giving a lot of thought to my world. The questions I ask myself is: Are the people in my world better off and happier because of my being in their lives? Another one is: are the people that I see each day in whatever capacity going to remember me to any degree? Will they immediately forget me? Or will the memory of my cause a frown? Or will the memory of me bring a smile? Or will their memory of me be that of indifference? In other words, what is the size and shade of the shadow I cast in my world as I go about living my life? I shall be pondering this question for a while and have decided to ask the questions often of myself. It's a way of holding myself accountable. Can I recommend that each person that reads this do something along the same lines? Maybe we cannot change the world and how it's operated, but we can change the part of the world that makes up where we live. ..............And so it goes.............

1 comment:

Dawn (of Course)! said...

Since moving back to "the city" I have noticed that folks dont even look at each other as they pass on the street or in the grocery store........how sad. Of course..I have been on a mission (and encouraging my girls to do the same) LOOK THEM IN THE EYE and say "hello" or "good morning" or "how are you today?" with a smile on your face. The interesting thing.........many seem a bit surprised, even startled at first. Then when they realize that you are addressing them, a smile starts to invade their face. It's fun!