Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Departures (the series)......

Hello, Hello.....testing one two three four five....is anyone there? Just checking. I've already said more about the mules than they're worth. (at least to me) So, I'm on to other things, and since this is "my" blog I think I'll talk about me. Especially since I know me better than anyone else, right?
I've sort of been making a mental list of the times in my life that I've left from somewhere that I really wanted to stay. One of the sadest times I can remember is the day (August 18, 1968) that I left the home I'd known for 19 years to go to San Diego to begin my years in the Navy. I remember saying goodbye to my Dad before I left home headed to the bus station. The memory of that time is still very painful for me to recall. His 2nd oldest son had died a few years before, His oldest son had gone into the Army a couple of years before and now his middle son was leaving. At a very unstable time in the life of our country I might add. The memory of him choking back tears still sear my memories of that occasion. The last words I recall him saying before I left was "Son, you'll never live at home again". As it turned out, he was right. The words that he spoke and the look on his face stayed with me for a very long time. As a matter of fact, it still does. He passed away in 1988 after losing his 3 year fight with cancer. When he died it left a hole in my life that remains there to this day. Enough for now. I need a break from writing this post.
Ok, ok. Everyone stop sobbing and get busy at whatever you need to be busy at. :-D And so it went.........

1 comment:

DaddysGirl said...

I have no idea what to say to that post. Except yea I went misty eyed. And thank you for serving