Saturday, January 21, 2006

Perspective.....

Well....Here I am once again. It's Saturday night and I'm home alone and enjoying it very much. Plus, it's cheaper this way. I've had requests for a bit more about those two evil entities that were a plague to my teenage years. I speak of the red mule and brown mule with which I spent so much time. I hesitate about saying much more lest too much credit be given them for my having turned out so magnificently. :-) I do have memories of occasions that were extraordinary. One such memory that sticks out from others is the time that, having been up since about 4:30 am and having just finished 2 hours of chores and a hearty breakfast, I went to harness one of the mules. After having tried to run them into the barn and thus in the stalls, and having been almost killed for my efforts, I enlisted the aid of my youngest brother Randy. Once again we had no success in getting the mules into the barn. At that time I sent Randy to the house to fetch my 20 gauge shotgun and one shell. Having obtained said gun we went once again to round up the mules (which were snickering at us I might add). Having laid out my plan to Randy and instructed him on the proper course of action for himself, I made ready to do my worst. At this point I must add that my temper had given way to rage and I was gleefully looking forward to my planned action. As the mules came running toward us, which I knew that would do, I took careful aim at the first mule that ran by, which happened to be the black mule. Yep, I unloaded the number 9 bird shot into him. Now please don't think badly of me yet. I must explain that I was a good distance from him and did him no permanent damage. Having unloaded the gun, Randy and I walked to the back of the pasture to try once again to run them into the barn. As we approached them I pointed the now empty shotgun at them and they began running. We walked leisurely to the barn. Upon arriving at the barn we found the mules not only in the barn but in their respective stalls waiting to be harnessed. I didn't confess the dastardly deed to my Dad for several years. I might add, those mules were very, very well behaved for several weeks.
The next post is forthcoming so ya'll try to relax till then. And so it went..........

1 comment:

DaddysGirl said...

I dunno if i'm ever going to run for a public office. But you'll be first to know after my parents and fiance if i do. I would love to have you campaign for me. I love these mule stories! I can see a shotgun gettin them to behave.