Friday, January 27, 2006

Looking for the right balance...

Good evening to all. I'm sitting here contemplating what would be the right balance in a healthy blog. I could, as could most of us, dwell on things too negative and that wouldn't be good. On the other hand I could, again as could most of us, dwell exclusively on the positive things which would be warped as far a reality goes. So.....I sit wondering how to hit that balance just right, and also wondering if I'd know if I did get it right. :-) The conclusion I've come to is, that I'll depend on that wonderful group that actually read my blog to let me know if I goes too far one way or the other. There are in my life, as in any life, good and bad, ups and downs. My life has been so very full and so very blest. I've been so many places and seen so many things and known so many people and done so many things that I'm not sure I can blog them all. From time to time I'll share a bit of wisdom that I've picked up on the trip to here. One such bit is this. Trying to have the perfect life and worrying about the absence of said perfection is like staring at the sun. It only hurts your eyes and makes you blind to the real and wonderful world surrounding us.
To answer a question posed to me and in continuation of the previous post. On August 18, 1968, when I departed for the bus station to go to San Diego, my Mom and my two youngest siblings (Karen and Randy) all drove me to the bus station. I remember the trip being relatively quiet. We arrived at the bus station well ahead of time so we just sat and waited. As the bus finally pulled into the bus station a knot formed in my stomach. That knot stayed right in place for a couple of weeks as I tried to cope with a foreign environment. As the bus left the station I recall my Mom and Sister and Brother waving till the bus went out of sight. I wondered if any of the other passengers knew the sadness and homesick feeling I felt through every part of my body. It's been many years since then but I still remember well the events of that August day. Looking back I'm very glad that I didn't know then the things I'd witness and be a part of in the coming years.
Question answered so on to other things. Hopefully some of those things will make you smile a bit. And so it went...........

3 comments:

DaddysGirl said...

Well I haven't seen you go too far in any of your posts as of yet. It's nice to hear from you again Mike. And yea I know the homesick feeling, although not quite to that extent, just disappearing off to college.

Crazy Politico said...

The great thing about blogs is that the balance is your choice. This is your outlet, so when the mood hits you to be heavy, be heavy. When something funny strikes you, have a laugh.

If you keep doing this regularly, you'll find that you strike your own balance.

Crissy said...

As I read that a knot formed in my own stomach. You're a pretty good writer. Who knew? ;o)