Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A pre-quel

I apologize. The apologize is for causing so many to hold their breath for so long. I know the suspence is killing you all.
I've decided to go back a bit farther. Back to a time that most of you won't remember. You've heard a lot about these times, some right and some wrong. So, I'm gonna set the record straight. The times of which I speak started in the early 1950's. A point in time when, if someone said hard drive we thought you meant a long and arduous trip in your 1949 chevy or ford. A time when ram was only an animal. A time when server was someone that waited tables at a cafe'. I remember when, as a boy of 5+, I walked around in Ft. Lauderdale alone and unafraid. I know, I know. It sounds too good to be true, but true it is.
Ok, on to other things. At the ripe ol' age of 9, along with other members of the family, we loaded up our truck (& car) and moved to Alabama. For me living in Alabama was a dream come true. Four of my favorite people in the whole world lived there. Two sets of Grandparents. Compared to Florida, Alabama was a paradise with wide open spaces in which to play. I had at the time roughly 79 first cousins, about half that lived close. So I had a great many people with which to play. Lightening bugs were abundant. There were thousands upon thousands to catch and put in a jar. I can remember one occasion catching a quart jar almost full and releasing them in my Grandpa and Grandma Jones' house. It was great fun for a short while. Let me not forget the steam train that ran beside their house. It fascinated us when it stopped most days to take on water from the water tank. Watching the nanny goat being milked and gathering the eggs each day was a thrill beyond compare. Playing at the old sawmill was always fun that never stopped.
Then the unexpected happened. I grew up. Time had sneaked up on me (us) and things had begun to change.
Alright, enough for now. Other amazing tales are forthcoming. For now though, back to holding your breath. I'll try not to let it be so long between posts.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love ya Poppy. Isn't this blog thangy kool?

Crissy said...

Did you get in trouble for the lightening bug incident?

Mike said...

Yep....I remember it quite distinctly.

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

The lightning bug incident sounds a lot like something Ellas would do, with Ty and Gracie cheering him on. ;)

Amber said...

Mike, it is so interesting reading about your life and memories...thanks for sharing! Miss and love you lots!

Unknown said...

hay shuger!IT ME maggie.I love you!!!